Haffner's History

Haffner's History

E. Haffner Fournier

In Memoriam

E. Haffner “Haff” Fournier

1937-2009

Haff, the long-time Haffner’s CEO, passed away in September 2009. Haff played an instrumental role in the day-to-day business of the operation, and served as role model for social responsibility, making generous contributions to organizations throughout the Merrimack Valley. A member, board member and founder of various organizations throughout the community — his kindness and high spirits will most certainly be remembered for years to come.

Though Haff will be deeply missed by many, his legacy will continue though his son David Fournier, company and its dedicated staff.


69 Parker Street, LawrenceHaffner’s Service Stations Inc. was founded in 1925 by John and Emma Haffner. They began with one small “filling station” at 69 Parker Street in Lawrence (see photo at right).

Through the years Jack and Emma expanded their gas stations to include the entire Lawrence and Lowell areas. They also added auto service garages, home heating oil delivery and “range oil” (now known as kerosene) for those of us who remember back to the 1930s.

It was in the early 1930s that Jack and Emma’s only child, Louise, began to take a more active role in the business. Louise took it upon herself to obtain both a burner- service technician license and her Class-1 tractor-trailer license, the first woman in the state to do so at the time. Louise also received her degree in chemical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a focus on petroleum distilling. This, combined with her master’s degree in Business Administration from Boston University, prepared her for the task of operating and growing her family business.

69 Parker Street, LawrenceBoth Louise and her Husband, Emile Fournier, worked diligently in the business — Emile overseeing the Lowell operation and Louise and Jack overseeing the Lawrence end. They continued to grow the fuel oil end of the business up until Jack’s passing in 1955. It was at this time that Louise and Emile’s oldest son E. Haffner Fournier, “Haff,” entered the business full time. Haff had worked for many years prior on a part-time basis for the company and had serious plans for growing the business.

As the plan took shape, stations were added in such communities as North Andover, Tewksbury, Methuen, Haverhill and Lowell.

In 2009, after Haff’s passing, his son David Fournier became the fourth generation to continue the family legacy.

Today, Haffner’s is a leading marketer of petroleum products in the Merrimack Valley with:

  • 14 service stations
  • Full-service oil delivery and maintenance

For more than 80 years, Haffner’s has been dedicated to customer satisfaction with quality service and quality products at competitive prices.